Thursday, June 24, 2010

Daring Dining! ~ Old Timers Restaurant

Millington, TN
Hello Friends and welcome to another episode of Daring Dining! Where I recount the highs and locals of local cusine.

This week finds Mandi and I at Old Timers Restaurant located right next to the train tracks in Millington. The restaurant itself was the original train station of the town and has been convereted into a sit down southern comfort food establishment. The insde was very nice and the walls were lined of old photos detailing the towns history.

We got there 5PM as it opened for dinner service (it closes after the lunch "rush") as did most every senior citizen in town. The wait staff knew every customer and everybody seemed to know everyone else We over heard lots of talk of relatives, crops, and of course the blistering heat we are experiencing. We are defiantly in the south.

The menu had a small range of basic choices (sandwiches, fried chicken, steak). However Mandi and I opted for the dinner specials; she a half slab ribs with one side (these are famous mind you, of course everyones ribs here are famous for something) and for myself a stuffed chicken breast with a garlic hollandaise sauce with two sides. Mandi also ordered the soup of the day, chicken and sausage gumbo.

The gumbo was very soupy and bland, but not awful, thankfully our meals made up for it. Mandi's ribs were served with a dry rub and her side was a sweet potato. Mandi didn't say much when she was eating the ribs which means they must have been good. I had a bite and didn't care for the smoky flavor, but then again I wouldn't know good BBQ from bad BBQ. My "stuffed" chicken breast wasn't "stuffed" per say, it was more like a chicken sandwich with chicken for buns and things in-between (think KFC double down (shudder)). The grilled chicken had a garlic cheese in the middle (cream cheese I think) and was topped with very tangy hollandaise sauce. It was actually quite good and my southern greens beans (served in a dish full of pork grease) and mash potatoes made for excellent sides. Please note that this picture was NOT taken by us, but pulled from their webpage, hence the lack of customers. Trust us it was crowded.

The meal was also served with fresh corn bread buscuits and yeast rolls, delicious!

We ended the meal by splitting a peach cobbler (all the locals told us to get dessert) and it was AMAZING! By far the best cobbler I have had. I think it help that the dessert was more cobbler then peach and it was served gooey warm. The meal was quite cheap and the atmosphere very southern.

While this is a far stretch from fine dining, it was very wholesome and filling and I would happily go back again. Best part - they have a facebook page and a webpage!

The Adventure Continues - ML

No comments:

Post a Comment