Monday, June 28, 2010

Daring Dining! ~ Lil' G's Kajun Restaurant

Belle Chasse, LA
Hello Friends and welcome again to Daring Dining! Where I boldly try local culinary flair and pray it all works out.

So we can practailly throw a stone into the Gulf of Mexico here, so we thought it would be best to try some Cajon, I mean, Kajun cooking this week and low and behold we stumble upon a family owned creole restaurant Lil G's Kajun Restaurant .



From the outside the place doesn't seem that impressive and the inside stayed the course. I should take that back, the inside was lined with every kind of fish you may find in the local waters stuffed and mounted on the walls and there was even a gator head smiling at us the whole meal. It firmly establish that neither I nor Mandi would be taking a dip in a pond anytime soon.

If there was one word to describe the food at Lil G's (we assumed the "G" stood for gator) would be fried. Everything was fried, the pickles (though they were a guilty pleasure) the shrimp, and of course the fries. Now I could have gotten something else then the fried shrimp, in fact I thought I ordered grilled shrimp, but it was fried to death and I could now go without shrimp for awhile because of it. Mandi had a cheesy krab (yes krab with a k) and potato bake with broccoli. She said it was good and she would have it again.

The service was slow yet friendly. We chalked it up to being close to closing on a Sunday. I couldn't help but wonder if they are now getting their seafood products elsewhere because of the spill. The reader board out front even read "Yes we do have seafood!" as if people had asked the question many a times.

It is interesting to have seen and read many stories about the oil spill for weeks and now to actually be in a community that is being deeply affected by it really puts things into perspective.

At any rate while I didn't enjoy the food too much, I hope this Ma and Pa seafood shanty can weather the coming storms of seafood scarcity.

The Adventure Continues - ML

1 comment:

  1. Fried pickles are a southern art form. We love them. Slices or spears. You should do a survey/have a rating form. Pickle pictures.

    ReplyDelete