Hilmar, CA
Hello Friends,

Who says there is nothing to do in Hilamr! Yesterday Shawna and I took in what is probably the reason for Hilamr still being a town, I speak of course of the largest employer of the town and the reason for the aromatic "farm" smell that stings our eyes everyday, yes we went and toured
The Hilmar Cheese Company.

This place was great. While it wasn't a huge facility, there was a lot to do. First we ate at their cafe which boasted a bevy of very tasty treats. I opted for a small Italian sub paired with their renowned cheese chowder. The soup was so-so, cheesy but not with much flavor. Still I ate it all. The cafe also had free samples of Hilmar cheese. The cheese curds were the run away favorite and the habanero cheddar was pretty good too.

Now I am going to be a bit of an Oregon snob here, but I have to admit, I think Tillamook cheese is better. Then again I think my Northwest bias may have something to do with that... Still it is nice cheese and if I was given a platter as a gift I would gobble it down.

After lunch was had we headed upstairs for the "How we make cheese" exhibit. It was not too big, but it was free and the photo opportunities were amazing. It is never a good thing to give tour actors costumes to try on, even if they are meant for children.

Just so you know that all the pictures I post on the blog can be seen larger if you click on them. May your cheese be tasty and firm!
The Adventure Continues - ML
No comments:
Post a Comment