Saturday, January 29, 2011

Daring Dining ~ The Red Wagon Cafe

Shafter, CA
Hello Friends,

Ah the first Daring Dining of 2011! While I have had many wonderful foods in Califonia (mainly mexician) none of them have really been Daring Dining quality, until now. This morning I was terated to a little blast from the past at the Red Wagon Cafe.

Back when we visited my Uncle John and Aunt Michele in upstate New York we were always treated to a tasty breakfast at a little place called Bennie and Millies. I remember the food being wonderful and what I really remember the most was the fact that we were eating in a Caboose! The same can be said for the Red Wagon Cafe.

It is an old rail car turned cafe that serves up heaps of home style cooking with lots of country hospitality. We (the men of my home stay family and I) arrived at 9:15 and there was no one there. The chef and waitress (mother and daughter) were sitting drinking coffee while there bus person slowly wrapped silverware. Being that I entered with regulars I was the odd man out meaning they actually had to take my order while the usual hot chocolate and coffee was doled out without question. Within five minutes there was not an empty seat in the car.

The menu was bare bones and typical greasy breakfast/lunch fare. I went with a ham and cheese omelet and was not disappointed. The ham was grilled before being put into the omelet giving it a little crisp to it. It was wonderful and heavy, I didn't not finish it at all.

Below is a video I found on YouTube. It gives you good feel for the inside, however when I was there the clinetal wasn't nearly that decrepit. Maybe the regulars don't come out on the weekend.



The Adventure Continues - ML

No comments:

Post a Comment