
Tekoa, WA
Hello Friends,
Two weeks ago we had our second stop in Western Washington in the southern Puget Sound town of Auburn, WA. We arrived in Auburn after a rainy drive over Snoqualmie pass that had some angry southern rain (like can't see when the wipers on full force rain) that required us to pull off at North Bend outlets for awhile. That was a little nuts even by Western Washington standards. The school we were at wasn't too far from Shawna's house so she opted to stay there that week. So after dropping her off, I headed out to my home stay through dreary weather and on familiar roads to where ever Nigel our the GPS would take me. I was feeling a little drained. I think it was the sudden onset of Western Washington Fall (grey and wet) and being back in a "home-ish" area that put me in a mild funk. Actually what I really think it was is something us TAD's call the Sunday Slump.
Sunday is our days of goodbyes and hellos. When Sunday rolls around we usually have just figured out the town and/or home we are in. We have just come off great shows and now it is time to start all over again. It can be taxing as you are always saying goodbye every seven days and there is sometimes a tiny part of you that wonders what it would be like if you just stayed. Of course that is never an option, and so on you go to the next destination. It's a blessing and a curse and we all understand that part of the job well before we sign on the dotted line.
Anyways, I was definitely in a Sunday Slump when I pulled up to my new home in Auburn. I was greeted by a gate when I arrived at my home stay. I was buzzed in. I pulled up to an amazing home. I was welcomed by a warm family. I was feed home made pot roast. My Sunday Slump quickly faded.
It's funny how our job works. It's cliche but true- we rely on the kindness of strangers. With in ten minutes I felt at home and welcome. My home stay family had an absouletly amazing home and I kick myself for not getting any pictures! If I ever find any online (they said there were some floating around) I will post them. There house was basically built for host events. It was huge and modern and I loved it.
That week we were at first time school and we had a cast of 30 that week (we have been having small casts lately...) We had three shows with them and it was a treat to bring MCT there for the first time. Shawna performed and her parents were able to attend. It's not often that family gets to see us perform, in fact it has only happened once for me, so it was great that we could make that happen. Shawna's parents also had me over for a nice home cooked meal of spaghetti which was wonderful - THANK YOU!
That weekend was Halloween and I decided to throw myself into the Emerald City of Seattle and spend an evening on the town with good friends. Since we didn't have a long drive Shawna and I decided to make another long weekend of it and would leave for Glenwood on Monday rather then Sunday. So on my off Sunday I made NEW friends as I hung out with my good friend Ryan and his wife Tina at their friends house in Tacoma. Justin and Katie (the new friends, that last sentence was a bit rough) were having a little NFL Halloween party and it was a blast! We watched the Seahawks get demolished and handed out candy. It was the best kind of good time, the unexpected type.
On Monday we bid farewell to Western Washington and those we hold dear. It was a good time and it was time to move on. And on we went to Glenwood.
The Adventure Continues - ML
No comments:
Post a Comment