Hello Friends!
After a wonderful week of wedding fun (Congratulations Erin and Kepler!) it's back to the road with a very quick week here in Jacksonville, FL. But we will come back to that, now lets jump back two weeks and talk about our fun Mandi and I had on our solo trip to the Big easy on the third of July.
First off the show in Belle Chasse went very well. It was well attended and the base commander even came and saw the show. Afterward he gave us a coin of service for our accomplishment that week.
From there we had to go get a nice cool beverage since we are in the south and hot and humid go hand in hand. So not wanting to buck the trend we promptly got ourselves some daiquiris and started strolling around the French Quarter which is much more active on the weekends and during the day then it is on a weekday night. We saw the vendors, took in the famous landmarks, and of course, hit Bourbon Street again.
By now it was dinner time and we wanted some more Cajun cuisine before our time in the bayou ended. After eying many other restaurants we came across a a little diner not to far from Cafe DuMond. Mandi ordered a sampler of local sea critters and I had a New Orleans original - a muffalota (really spelled wrong) sandwich. It was amazing! This sandwich is basically a fancy grilled ham and cheese only with great bread, high quality ham and provolone (I think) and the real thing that kicks it into flavor overladed is that it also has a smear of olive something on it (basically olive melody smear) and then it is all grilled to perfection. Oh my goodness, it was delightful. Oh and one word to the wise. Take all things in moderation. When Mandi went to the ladies room I took this picture of a native sitting near us. This maybe the best picture I have ever taken.
With bellies full and Mandi ready to drive (I did enjoy those daiquiris!) we back on the ferry home and said good bye to the Big Easy. New Orleans is a great town that is basking in the glory of the Super bowl winning Saints and yet still grieves from Katrina and now fears the constant threat of oil ruining it's livelihood. It is a city were anything goes. A city rooted deeply in history, tradition, and superstition. A city I look forward to visiting again real soon.
The Adventure Continues - ML
No comments:
Post a Comment