Thursday, July 8, 2010

Daring Dining! ~ Crazy Horse Cafe

Pensacola, FL
Hello Friends - Welcome again to the culinary adventures of - DARING DINING!

This week's dining experience started with a simple question from our contact "Have you ever had fried green tomatoes?" With an answer of "no" from both Mandi and myself we were wisked off to Crazy Horse Cafe here in Pensacola, FL.

The Cafe is tucked away in the swamp sprawl that lines the rural highways of Florida. It is a restaurant that based on it's outside appearance is one that you would not visit on a whim. However the parking lot was full and it is clear the locals love this place, and for good reason. The inside had all the hallmarks of a ma and pa greasy spoon and it is clear that the owners are constantly trying to spruce up the place as decor varied from room to room. Our room was very IKEA. We started with an order of said fried green tomatoes (yes those are them next to Mandi's eyes) and they were tasty. Of course antyhing fried with a little bit of ranch dressing is tasty, but these were well done. The breading wasn't too heavy and the green tomatoes had a nice tartness on the inside.

Mandi order a chicken vadalia onion sandwich (I know I spelled that onion wrong, but you know what I am talking about). The sandwich was made of a fried chicken breast, vadalia onion sauce, grilled onions, fried mushrooms (yes FRIED not grilled), melted swiss cheese, and served grilled on texas toast. It was amazing. Bad news, Mandi had a snack at home before we ate and couldn't finish it. Good news, I didn't and finished it.

Both myself and our contact order off the daily special menus which could be found on the many white boards around the restaurant with popular items already rubbed off from lunch service, this place must keep busy. We both ordered the open roast beef sandwich and my two sides were green beans and mac and cheese. It was WONDERFUL! A bit on the salty side, but I like it that way. The only downside was the green beans. I just don't care for the southern style of serving them in pork grease, other then that it was well worth the $8 price. It was washed down with many cups of UNsweet icea tea (you have to be specific down here) and it made for a great meal on a hot Florida day.

Our waitress was very nice and even gave us full to go drinks of our beverages - delightful! Crazy Horse Cafe is closed Sundays and Mondays and is a bit off of I-10, but it is well worth the stop for cheap, wonderful, and completely satisfying southern comfort food. Highly Recommended!

New Orleans Part 2 coming soon - I promise!

The Adventure Continues - ML

1 comment:

  1. The chicken vidalia onion sandwich sounds like a piece of heaven. We usually drive straight through Pensacola. We may have to make a side trip to the Crazy Horse.

    ReplyDelete