Monday, June 20, 2011

Jelly Days and Napa Nights

Lake Oswego, OR
Hello Friends,

Back in the good old Pacific Northwest! I do love me this area and it feels great to see green everywhere and smell that fresh air (albeit the hotel is right next to the interstate, but hey, it's a Crowne Plaza so I can't complain too much). We have finished one week with Secret Garden and it went very well. With a crazy four days rehearsal and an audience of almost 400, I admit I was a little terrified as I took stage Friday (I was even losing my voice!) but when all was said and done the kids did great and as they always say at the home office, "No matter what, you will always have a show come show day."

Since we did have a Friday show we had all day to run-a-muck around the northern central area of California. What happened to be none too far from the front gates of Travis AFB? THE JELLY BELLY FACTORY!!!

Not gonna lie, anticipation was a bit high as we pulled into the colorful parking lot on Jell Belly Lane (that was a treat to be heard said by the GPS). Spirits remained high as did my many references of being in "Charlie in the Chocolate Factory" (all of which were lost of Calida, where is Kepler when you need him!?). Then we got to the line and the millions of screaming children and the wind fell from my sails faster then you could "Very Cherry" (There most popular Jelly Belly).

I know I am getting older and my old man gene is developing quite nicely, however, since a larger part of my job is child crowd control it is really hard to be in public places were children are roaming free liek "Lord of the Flies". After many glares from Calida to relax and enjoy the day off I let the little sugar addict spawns bother me no more, because it was tour time and it was FREE!

Oh but the the factory wasn't in production because they were doing their yearly maintenance...

So most of the tour was like this "To your right is where our Jelly Bellies are sorted in a cornacophia of color and joy, or at least they normally would be..." Still it was a free tour with lots of samples and tons of factoids so while I sound old and bitter it was still a lot of fun.

We left Jelly Belly and headed to Napa to enjoy another Team's show at the Napa Valley Opera House. The Opera House is gorgeous and their show was wonderful (It was Wiz of the West by the way). Afterward we got a bit gussied up and hit Napa at many a wine bars. Our favorite hands down was Carpe Deim. The owners did a good job at making us feel at home and the Napa Pinots were spectacular!

The drive Sunday was LONG! Ten hours on I-5 is never a joy though going past Mt. Shasta on the Oregon/California border is pretty (I am just glad to be doing it in the summer). The show is cast and spirits are high as start week two. The performances are outside so that will be interesting! Looking forward to seeing folks this week as I am near the City of Roses!!!

The Adventure Continues - ML

1 comment:

  1. Matt, Wish I would have know you were going to Carpe Deim. It is owned by friends of my dad.
    Howard

    ReplyDelete