Hello Friends,
Lets pick up where I left off - my first time in Missoula.
After accepting the job I settled my affairs in Seattle. I arranged to leave my stuff in the condo that I was living in thanks to my friend Jason and quit the show I was in. I remember the director of that production, this spindly 25 year-old something who thought his vision for the play was amazing, telling me that I was making a huge mistake to run off on tour and that I would do much better if I stayed in Seattle (HA!). From there I headed out to Ohio for a bit of visiting and then back to Portland for one last hurrah and then I flew to Missoula from there. If I had only known how important a role the City of Portland would play later in my life. Funny how the world works.
Flying into Missoula International Airport for the first time is a special experience. It's hard to describe. If you ask Joe Q. Public what they know or even think of when you say "Montana" odds are they come up with "Buffalo" or "Snow" or most likely "Dances with Wolves". So when one goes to Montana you really have no idea what to expect. This was the case when I landed in one of the smallest planes I had flown.
Your aircraft parks at one of six gates and you walk less then thirty seconds and you are at baggage claim. During that thirty second trek you pass by at least five very impressive taxidermy pieces ranging from grizzly bears, to deer, and of course the coup de grace is the mountain lion killing a goat in its mouth. It's a bit awesome.
I arrived in Missoula three days before my training to meet up with my college room mate Pat who took a Greyhound down from Havre to hang out. As I was early, the company did have to pick me up (though in retrospect I am sure they would have had I asked, which I didn't because I didn't want to impose on this new company that hired me) so I figured I would just catch a cab to take me to my hotel.
With in minutes of collecting my bag the airport was deserted. I called a cab and they claimed they would be there in 15 minutes. They also claimed they could get me to the hotel for less then $20 cash as that was all I had in my wallet and they did not take cards. So gazing at the hills that surround me I began to worry that my dwindling cash supply would not see me through and until training began as I waited for the cab.
And waited.
And waited.
About 30 minutes after I called a fancy hotel van pulls up (my hotel was not that fancy) and asked if I had called about going to their hotel. Of course I hadn't and explained as much. The lady, who was about my age, looked around and not seeing anyone asked where I was going. When I told her I was going to another hotel and that I was here for Missoula Children's Theatre her face grinned and she offered me a ride into town for free. I couldn't believe it.
So I hopped into a strangers van and ventured forth towards downtown Missoula. Now mind you I wouldn't have hopped into just any van and my creeper bell wasn't tingling. As we drove in she told me all about Missoula. Where to go, what to see, how much I am going to love MCT. She herself was a student at the University and worked at the hotel as a part time gig. After a brief 10 minute drive I was at my hotel and her van vanished into traffic.
I never saw that girl again, but her kindness left an indelible impression.
Pat arrived later that day and we spent the next few days exploring Missoula, reminiscing about college, and making promises as to what we wanted to do with out lives. If I remember correctly we were both going to be Professors at the same college some day. Those few days passed all to quickly. Suddenly I was beginning my training at MCT and Pat was returning to Northern Montana. What began that first day of training would change my life forever.
The Adventure Continues - ML
No comments:
Post a Comment